In order to better serve you and to enhance your experience at our office, please read through this email before your Demodex Treatment appointment:
Demodex is a microscopic mite that lives in hair follicles and feeds on excess sebum (oil). The Demodex mite is an ectoparasite (living on the surface of the host) that can reside in our hair follicles and sebaceous glands. Demodex is contracted and spread by either direct contact or dust containing eggs.
Click here to learn more about demodex.
Demodex can be found in and around your eyelashes, eyebrows, beard and may often cause:
- Itchy eyelids
- Irritated eyelids, especially near the base of the eyelashes
- Irritated eyes
- Debris on the base of your eyelashes
- Loss of eyelashes
- Dry Eye symptoms
Treatment for demodex involves:
- Do not use eye drops and do not wear eye make up on the day of your exam
- Initial in-office treatment: clinical examination and photos are usually covered by your medical insurance. The actual treatment with medical grade tea tree oil and removal is not covered by any medical insurance
- We will bill United, BCBS, and United medical insurance
- If you have Cigna, Aetna, Humana or other insurance, we will give you detailed statement with diagnosis code so you can file yourself
3. At Home follow up with demodex-specific lid scrubs such as the Oust Ocusoft Demodex Cleanser
4. Patient specific detailed treatment/maintenance plan will be given to you after your initial in-office treatment
One of the primary preventative treatments for demodex involves lid hygiene. Washing your face (lids and lashes included) every day with a gentle cleanser (with tea tree oil) will help remove all excess sebum from your lids and lashes. Our doctors at Vision Optique will prescribe a regimen for you based on the clinical evaluation at your treatment visit.